Adi Shankara Atma Bodha verses
- I am without attributes and actions;
Eternal (Nitya) without any desire and thought (Nirvikalpa), without
any dirt (Niranjana), without any change (Nirvikara), without form (Nirakara),
ever-liberated (Nitya Mukta) ever-pure (Nirmala).
- Like the space I fill all things within
and without. Changeless and the same in all, at all times I am pure,
unattached, stainless and motionless.
- I am verily that Supreme Brahman alone
which is Eternal, Pure and Free, One, indivisible and non-dual and
of the nature of Changeless-Knowledge-Infinite.
- The impression “I am Brahman” thus created
by constant practice destroys ignorance and the agitation caused by
it, just as medicine or Rasayana destroys disease.
- Sitting in a solitary place, freeing the
mind from desires and controlling the senses, meditate with
unswerving attention on the Atman which is One without-a-second.
- The wise one should intelligently merge
the entire world-of-objects in the Atman alone and constantly think
of the Self ever as contaminated by anything as the sky.
- He who has realised the Supreme, discards
all his identification with the objects of names and forms.
(Thereafter) he dwells as an embodiment of the Infinite
Consciousness and Bliss. He becomes the Self.
- There are no distinctions such as
“Knower”, the “Knowledge” and the “Object of Knowledge” in the
Supreme Self. On account of Its being of the nature of endless
Bliss, It does not admit of such distinctions within Itself. It
alone shines by Itself.
- When this the lower and the higher aspects
of the Self are well churned together, the fire of knowledge is born
from it, which in its mighty conflagration shall burn down all the
fuel of ignorance in us.
- The Lord of the early dawn (Aruna) himself
has already looted away the thick darkness, when soon the sun rises.
The Divine Consciousness of the Self rises when the right knowledge
has already killed the darkness in the bosom.
- Atman is an ever-present Reality. Yet,
because of ignorance it is not realised. On the destruction of
ignorance Atman is realised. It is like the missing ornament of
Atma Bodha Verses
Back to Adi Shankara Teachings
Bookmark & Share